On this page, you will find all information about the Belgian passport.

  1. Last updated on

General information

A passport is an official, worldwide recognized and usable travel document in the format of a booklet issued by the relevant authority in a particular State to its nationals.

One must make a distinction between a passport and an identity card which, as its name implies, is just a single card.

Belgian passports are valid 7 years (5 years for minors).

Any Belgian citizen can be issued his or her own passport starting at birth.

A passport allows its holder to travel to any country in the world, subject to fulfilling any applicable visa requirements.

Read more on the FPS Foreign Affairs website

How to obtain a passport at the Embassy of Belgium in Seoul?

The Embassy of Belgium in Seoul can only issue passports to Belgians who are registered at the embassy. 

To request a passport you must make an appointment via our online appointment system

Please bring a completed application form to the embassy during the appointment.

Please also pay by card at the Embassy or transfer the correct amount to our consular account in advance . A new passport for an adult costs 112,500 KRW. A new passport for a minor (-18 years) costs 52,500 KRW. Please mention the name of the applicant on the transfer in case you pay upfront.

Details of our bank account:

KEB / Hana Bank
Embassy of Belgium
Account n°: 174-890002-35301
Swift code: KOEXKRSE

After getting the new passport

According to the instructions of the competent authorities in Korea (Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Korea, Korea Immigration Service), every foreigner with a local resident permit (Alien Registration Card) is required to report the change of passport number to the Korean immigration service within 14 days after its date of issuance. 

It is possible to notify the Immigration Office, either by:

1. Visiting and notifying them directly, after reserving an appointment via their website

2. Informing them via fax: 1577-1346 (Weekdays only from 9am-6pm)

Documents to send:

How to verify effect of change: Call 1345 (Immigration Hotline) after 2-3 days

3. Reporting it online

Go to the HiKorea website and register.

After creating an account, file an e-application and choose “Notification of Change in Registration”. Follow the process, and submit the following: