Embassy of Belgium in the Republic of Korea

Student Visa

The visa for students applies to students who are studying in Belgium for a certain period of time, at Bachelor, Master or Doctorate level. This visa is NOT intended for those who wish to do an internship or conduct research in Belgium.

When to submit a visa application?

A visa application can be submitted up to 6 months before departure, and must be submitted at least 15 calendar days before the intended visit.

For example, for a visit to Belgium from 1 September 2020 onwards, the application can be submitted between 1 March 2020 and 17 August 2020

The duration of treatment of your visa depends on the quality of the file. The Visa section will contact you as soon as your application has been processed.

How to submit a visa application?

First of all, you need to complete the online visa application form on https://visaonweb.diplomatie.be.

The visa applicant must then make an appointment via the online appointment system. All visa applicants must come to the embassy in person, accompanied by the documents below.

All documents must be submitted in original form with two copies. The Visa section reserves the right to request additional documents.

Which documents must be submitted?

1. A passport that is at most 10 years old and valid for the period of the intended trip to Belgium + 3 months; Please ensure that your passport still has at least 2 blank pages.

2. A printed version of the application form, fully completed in French, Dutch or English, personally signed.

3. Two recent, identical color photos.

4. Visa fee of KRW 252.000, to be paid by card only, at the Embassy of Belgium.

5. Proof of payment of the visa handling fee of € 209. This amount must be paid directly to the following Belgian bank account:

IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235 
Bank: BPOST NV, Muntcentrum (without nr.), 1000 Brussels 
Beneficiary: FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, Antwerpsesteenweg 59B, 1000 Brussels

It is important that the payment notification respects the following structure (the date being the date of birth of the applicant): NameFirstnameNationalityDDMMYYYYY.


• Students who receive a Belgian grant are exempt from paying the visa treatment fee. They must nevertheless provide proof of their scholarship by means of the standard certificate issued by the institution that grants the scholarship.

• Students who are younger than 18 years old

6. Original certificate of registration or admission by the accredited educational institution in Belgium, which states that the applicant is accepted and / or registered as a regular and full-time student. If you only have a copy, the university must send the certificate directly to the embassy via email (consular.seoul@diplobel.fed.be).

Only if you follow a Bachelor degree in a French-speaking educational institution: recognition of equivalence of your foreign degree. For more information, contact your university or go to the following site: http://www.enseignement.be/index.php?page=24833&navi=89

7. Proof of sufficient finances, by one of the following means:

  • Original certificate of a scholarship. If you only have a copy, the institution that gives you the grant must send the certificate directly to the embassy via email (consular.seoul@diplobel.fed.be)
  • A transfer to the bank account of the Belgian university on a blocked account, with a deposit of at least EUR 679/month. The Belgian university must send this certificate directly via e-mail to the embassy.
  • A financial compensation (Annexe 32 / Bijlage 32), signed by a family member of the applicant or another sponsor, in which all financial travel, life, education, medical and repatriation costs are borne. The sponsor must personally come to the Embassy to sign the document, and needs to bring the following documents:
    • Passport and its copy
    • Household Register (or Family Relations Certificate) in English
    • The latest Certificate of Income in English, issued by the tax office
    • Employer's certificate and wage sheets for the last 3 months, if the sponsor works for a company; OR
    • Business Certificate, most recent Certificate of income and Tax return forms (issued by the tax office in English), if the sponsor is self-employed; OR
    • A copy of the latest trade balance, business certificate and a copy of the company's articles of association if the sponsor is a legal entity (e.g. a company ...) 

8. For students over 21 years old: Proof of absence of criminal convictions, issued at the Korean police station. The document must be translated into one of the national Belgian languages ​​(French, Dutch or German) or English, as well as be notarized and legalized by Apostille at the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.0404.go.kr). The certificate may not be older than 6 months.

9. Medical certificate: Every visa applicant must have the Embassy form completed, signed and stamped by a doctor. The certificate may not be older than 6 months. You can go to the visa department of one of the following hospitals:

  • Severance Hospital Seoul: International Health Care Center, Visa Section TEL) 02 2228-5815 (Dr. YOO Bora, Dr. PARK Chanshin, Dr. LINTON John, Dr. KIM Kyuyeon or Dr. KIM Sue) More information can be found here.
  • Yeouido St. Mary's Hospital Seoul: TEL) 02-3779-1406 (Dr. EUN Young-Mi) More information can be found here.
  • Inje University Haeundae Paik Hospital Busan: TEL) 051-797-0372 (Dr. KIM Daehwan, Dr. SUNWOO Yueun, Dr. RYU, Jiyoung) More information can be found here.

10. You must also complete a questionnaire at the embassy. Completing this questionnaire about your motivation to study in Belgium takes about an hour. Therefore please allow sufficient time for your visit to the embassy.

Exception: exchange students, students with a Belgian grant or students who have taken a selection test are exempt from completing this questionnaire.

11. Only for underage students (-18 years old): a certificate of parental consent.

Do you need more information?

For additional information, please go to the website of the Immigration Office. If you have additional questions, please contact us by e-mail. The Embassy does not answer questions about visa applications by telephone.