Embassy of Belgium in the Republic of Korea

Family Reunion

Are you going to Belgium and would you like your spouse, partner or minor children to accompany you? Then you can apply for a family reunification visa for your family.

However, are you an EU citizen (non-Belgian) who wants to bring his family to Belgium? In that case, your family members must apply for a short stay visa (unless they are exempted from short stay visa), and you must apply for your family reunification visa at the municipality in Belgium.

When to submit a visa application?

A visa application can be submitted up to 6 months before departure, and must be submitted at least 15 calendar days before the intended visit.

For example, for a visit to Belgium from 1 September 2020 onwards, the application can be submitted between 1 March 2020 and 17 August 2020

The duration of treatment of your visa depends on the quality of the file. The Visa section will contact you as soon as your application has been processed.

How to submit a visa application?

First of all, you need to complete the online visa application form on https://visaonweb.diplomatie.be.

The visa applicant must then make an appointment via the online appointment system. All visa applicants must come to the embassy in person, accompanied by the documents below.

All documents must be submitted in original form, along with two photocopies. The Visa section reserves the right to request additional documents.

Which documents must be submitted?

1. A passport that is at most 10 years old and valid for the period of the intended trip to Belgium + 3 months; Please ensure that your passport still has at least 2 blank pages.

2. A printed version of the application form, fully completed in French, Dutch or English, personally signed.

3. Two recent, identical color photos.

4. Visa fee of KRW 270.000, to be paid by card only at the Embassy of Belgium.

5. Proof of payment of the visa handling fee in euro. This amount must be paid directly to the following Belgian bank account:

IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235 
Bank: BPOST NV, Muntcentrum (without nr.), 1000 Brussels 
Beneficiary: FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, Antwerpsesteenweg 59B, 1000 Brussels

The price varies according to the category:

  • No contribution (free)
    • for minor children (-18 years old)
    • refugees or foreigners who have received subsidiary protection from Belgium
    • family members of citizens of the European Union or Belgians who live in another EU country
    • Unmarried disabled child over 18 years old
    • Family members of a Turkish national who comes to work in Belgium
  • EUR 198
    • The spouse or partner of someone (non-EU citizen) who resides in Belgium indefinitely (B, C, D, F or F + card)
    • The spouse or partner of someone (non-EU citizen) who has limited residence in Belgium (A or H card)
    • The spouse or partner or adult child of a Belgian resident in Belgium
    • The father or mother of a minor (-18 years old) Belgian
  • EUR 220
    • The applicant is distant family (brothers, sisters, parents ...)

It is important that the payment notification respects the following structure (the date being the date of birth of the applicant): NameFirstnameNationalityDDMMYYYYY.

6. In case of spouses: Marriage certificate (혼인관계증명서). It should be translated into one of the national languages of Belgium (French, Dutch or German) or English, notarised and legalised by apostil through the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.0404.go.kr).

7. Copy of the Belgian identification card (for Belgians) or the residence card (for foreigners) (recto/verso) and of the passport of the person to be joined in Belgium.

8. Proof of the solvency (stable, regular and sufficient financial means) of the person to be joined in Belgium (e.g. working contract mentioning the exact net salary, salary slips,…).

9. Proof of sufficient lodging in Belgium (e.g. registered lease agreement). (not applicable for applicants with an H-card or D-card)

10. Proof that all family members are or will be covered by health insurance in Belgium or have subscribed to medical travel insurance. For the medical travel insurance, the coverage should be for medical expenses, repatriation and the expenses resulting of death, and has to be at least 30.000 euro for each of those risks.

11. Medical certificate: Every visa applicant (not applicable for family reunification with Belgians) must have the Embassy form completed, signed and stamped by a doctor. The certificate may not be older than 6 months. You can go to the visa department of one of the following hospitals:

  • Severance Hospital Seoul: International Health Care Center, Visa Section TEL) 02 2228-5815 (Dr. YOO Bora, Dr. PARK Chanshin, Dr. LINTON John, Dr. KANG Da Yee, Dr. KIM Sue or Dr. TCHAH Hann) More information can be found here.
  • Yeouido St. Mary's Hospital Seoul: TEL) 02-3779-1406 (Dr. EUN Young-Mi) More information can be found here.
  • Inje University Haeundae Paik Hospital Busan: TEL) 051-797-0372 (Dr. KIM Daehwan, Dr. SUNWOO Yueun, Dr. RYU, Jiyoung) More information can be found here.

12. If the applicant is older than 18 years, Proof of absence of criminal convictions, issued at the Korean police station. The document must be translated into one of the national Belgian languages ​​(French, Dutch or German) or English, as well as be notarized and legalized by Apostille at the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.0404.go.kr). The certificate may not be older than 6 months. This does not apply for family reunification with Belgians.

13. For a minor child, an authorization for departure, signed by one or both parents, as well as a literal copy of the birth certificate, is required.

What after the visa application?

Once you have received your visa, you can travel to Belgium. Please note: make sure you bring all necessary documents with you to Belgium, so that you can prove at the border that you meet the residence conditions (proof of housing, proof of health insurance...)

Once you arrive in Belgium, you must report to the municipal administration of the place where you will live within eight days of arrival. After an address check, you will then be registered in the aliens register or population register and you will receive a residence card. 

Do you need more information?

For additional information, please go to the website of the Immigration Office. If you have additional questions, please contact us by e-mail. The Embassy does not answer questions about visa applications by telephone.