Visa Long stays (over 90 days)

Information for those wishing to apply for a long-stay visa (more than 90 days).

Working Holiday Visa

Information on applying for a long-stay visa to Belgium as part of the Working Holiday Program.
  1. Last updated on

The Working Holiday Program enables young Koreans (18-30 years old) to have an extended holiday of one year in Belgium and engage in short-term employment without the need to obtain a working permit. During the stay in Belgium, it is possible to work or to study for a maximum of 6 months.

The eligibility criteria for the Working Holiday applicants are the following:

  • being between the age of 18 and 30 years (inclusive)
  • not having participated in the Working Holiday Program for Belgium before
  • residing in the Republic of Korea at the time of the application
  • travel without dependents
  • have sufficient financial resources at the time of departure, i.e. a minimum of 2.500 €
  • possess a valid return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket

When to submit a visa application?

A visa application can be submitted up to 6 months before departure, and must be submitted at least 15 calendar days before the intended visit.

For example, for a visit to Belgium from 1 September 2020, the application can be submitted between 1 March 2020 and 17 August 2020.

The duration of treatment of your visa depends on the quality of the file. The Visa section will contact you as soon as your application has been processed.

How to submit a visa application?

First of all, you need to complete the online visa application form on VisaOnWeb

The visa applicant must then make an appointment via the online appointment system. All visa applicants must come to the embassy in person, accompanied by the documents below.

All documents must be submitted in original form with two copies. The Visa section reserves the right to request additional documents.

Which documents must be submitted

1. A passport that is at most 10 years old and valid for the period of the intended trip to Belgium + 3 months; Please ensure that your passport still has at least 2 blank pages.

2. A printed version of the application form, fully completed in French, Dutch or English, personally signed.

3. Two recent passport-size colour photos.

4. Visa fee of KRW 270.000, to be paid by card only at the Embassy of Belgium.

5. Proof of payment of the visa handling fee of € 229. This amount must be paid directly to the following Belgian bank account:

IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235
Bank: BPOST NV, Muntcentrum (without nr.), 1000 Brussels
Beneficiary: FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, Antwerpsesteenweg 59B, 1000 Brussels

It is important that the payment notification respects the following structure (the date being the date of birth of the applicant): NameFirstnameNationalityDDMMYYYYY.

6. Proof of the possession of at least 3.750.000 KRW by submitting a bank statement or by submitting your credit card (valid for the period of stay in Belgium), together with the last credit card statement.

7. Proof of your subscription to a medical travel insurance that covers your entire stay. The cover must apply to medical expenses, repatriation and the costs resulting from death, and must be at least 30,000 euros.

8. Return plane ticket or proof of sufficient funds to purchase the return ticket later.

9. Proof of absence of criminal convictions, issued at the Korean police station. The document must be translated into one of the national Belgian languages ​​(French, Dutch or German) or English, as well as be notarized and legalized by Apostille at the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( The certificate may not be older than 6 months.

10. Medical certificate: Every visa applicant must have the Embassy form completed, signed and stamped by a doctor. The certificate may not be older than 6 months. You can go to the visa department of one of the following hospitals:

  • Severance Hospital Seoul: International Health Care Center, Visa Section TEL) 02 2228-5815 (Dr. YOO Bora, Dr. PARK Chanshin, Dr. LINTON John, Dr. KANG Da Yee, Dr. LEE Seungmin or Dr. SHIN Jean). More information can be found here
  • Yeouido St. Mary's Hospital Seoul: TEL) 02-3779-1406 (Dr. EUN Young-Mi). More information can be found here
  • Inje University Haeundae Paik Hospital Busan: TEL) 051-797-0372 (Dr. KIM Daehwan, Dr. SUNWOO Yueun, Dr. RYU, Jiyoung). More information can be found here

What happens after the visa application?

Once you have received your working holiday visa, you can travel to Belgium. Please note: make sure you bring all required documents to Belgium, so that you can prove at the border that you meet the residence conditions (sufficient finances, proof of health insurance...).

Once you have arrived in Belgium, you must register at the municipal administration of the city where you will live, within eight days of arrival. After an address check, you will then be registered in the aliens register of the population register and you will receive a residence card. Some municipalities require a legalized birth certificate and a legalized certificate of unmarried status. We therefore advise you to take these documents with you to Belgium.

Please note that you will be subordinate to the Belgian laws regarding terms and conditions of work, salary, safety and hygiene. Both you and your employer will have to comply with the regulations in matters relating to social security.

You cannot change the working holiday visa to another visa type while being in Belgium, and the visa cannot be renewed.

Do you need more information?

For additional information, please go to the website of the Immigration Office. If you have additional questions, please contact us by e-mail. The Embassy does not answer questions about visa applications by telephone.

More information about GDPR: General Data Protection Regulation & Privacy Statement